Friday, July 27, 2012

First Month of Married Life!


Well, we are still getting settled into our little place, but we are almost there. It has been tremendously fun to put wedding presents to good use- whether in the kitchen, or dining room, or living room. I tried my hand at bread making, and even succeeded at making some homemade french bread! While very good, I recommend just buying some at the store-- it's a lot of work.

Other than the bread endeavor, I have been keeping busy with just doing housewifely things and working. We have a teeny-tiny laundry room off the kitchen, and I thought of a great project for Scot. I wanted something to hang drying clothes on, and we came up with this! It is a huge space-saver for us, and I think it's pretty neat. I am fortunate to have someone who can just measure the space, go to Home Depot, find the hardware, cut the wood to the right size, and put it all together in a matter of minutes. I know it isn't much to look at maybe, but I love it.

I currently work at the Foundation for Blind Children, and I was in the paper not too long ago for their graduation. I had never planned on being a teacher, but God does have a sense of humor. It is a rewarding job-- I love that I can help children to become the best that they can be, whether it is walking, learning Braille, or numerous other things.  I go home satisfied that I made a small difference in these kids' lives. Plus, it has just been downright good for my character. I thought I was patient before... but now I'm even more patient. I thought I was kind before... but I think I've grown in that area as well, along with a whole heap of other good qualities. It's funny, really, how I went from the top of higher education, being an ambassador for ASU and making a difference in the UK school system, to assisting with special- education preschool. Quite a leap, but this is where God wants me right now. True, I have had other job opportunities... excellent career moves, such as being an Executive Assistant for a company president, or I even could have stayed in England (there were no official offers, but they were trying to fish around about what would get me to stay), but I turned them down. Call me crazy, but I want to enjoy this chapter of newlywed life as best as I can. That means I need work to stay at work. Besides, what I really wanted to do with my English degree is become a technical writer, but because of the economy right now I do not have enough experience to get my foot in the door anywhere presently. I am going to try freelance projects, and possibly even attempt a book, just to see if I can and to see if anything would come of it. True, I worked hard to go to college and succeed because I wanted to do something with my life, and I think I will. I do not think that being a wife and someday a mother counts as "not doing anything." It will be my biggest ministry, and I am grateful for my education because I am still using it. It made me a more well- rounded person, sharpened my thinking and problem- solving skills, introduced me to new people, times, and languages (remember the Greek and Hebrew that I took?), and presented me with amazing opportunities such as going to England, being a campus ambassador, collaborating with Deans on projects, giving lectures on special topics courses I took, being a member of honor societies and other campus clubs, starting one of my own, speaking at orientations, and the list goes on. I am prepared to be a bread- winner should something ever happen to my husband and I am called upon to provide. While not a role I want, I count it a huge blessing that I am at least equipped. Well, that's enough of that rambling. I still have much to write and do in life, bottom line I guess.

Scot is still working as well, and he will be graduating this December from ASU with a degree in Biochemistry. Boy, did I pick a smart one! We have plans to move to Colorado next year, where Scot plans to work in a hospital as a lab tech while completing a 1- year certificate program. After that, we are considering participating in the Doctors Without Borders program, depending on whether we have children by then or not. Either way, life will be exciting for sure!

We have enjoyed the first month of being married so much; we both agreed that married life is even better than we thought it would be. At Bible study a few weeks ago, a gentleman asked us jokingly, "So, have you two had your first fight yet?" and we thought about it and no, we still haven't. We get along so well together, and last night Scot and I were chuckling over that. We have only fought about "who loves each other more," and "I get to do the dishes tonight, you go sit down" types of things. Yes, I know we are newlyweds. Yes, I know that we will disagree on things at times, because we have. But we don't "fight" about them. We talk about them, both of us seriously considering the other's thoughts and feelings, before deciding on a decision or a compromise if need be. Yes, I hope that's how life will continue to be for a long, long time. :)

Blessings to all of you!

-Hannah




No comments:

Post a Comment