Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Bread I Kneaded!




I found a recipe online for french bread, and I decided to try it. I had never ever ever made bread before, not even in a bread machine... and to be honest, I was curious about how I would do at it. If you want the recipe, click here.

It tastes like french bread, but honestly, it was a lot of work! I decided that it really is worth it just to go to Walmart and pick one up from the bakery. In my little head, I was thinking that making homemade bread would be a very "homey" thing to do, and it was; however, being a new wife does not mean you have to bake bread from scratch. Lesson learned. It was still a very rewarding type of work though. I had the time, and ingredients, and no kids competing for my time and energy so I made bread. You may notice that I made one or two of the cuts too deep. That's how you know I made it. 

Use a really sharp knife when making those cuts, and also it is helpful to have a little flour pile on your cutting board or whatever your kneading surface is, because as you knead the bread you need more flour on your hands often. I also set a timer for kneading, because 10 minutes is a long time. I had never kneaded anything before, so I'll tell you my technique: using the heels of your hands, and just the heels, push the bread down and away from you until it is fairly flat, then fold it over in half, turn it 45 degrees, and repeat over and over. It worked. 

This might be my only bread experience for a while, so I had to share. I used one loaf to eat with chili and butter, and the other I think I'll make french bread pizza boats with! How fun is that? Do any of you have any useful bread making tips?


No comments:

Post a Comment