Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Wedding... From the Bride's Point of View

At last, the time had finally arrived... Scot and I were getting married! After ten months of planning, we were anxiously awaiting the Big Day. It was Friday, June 22, and Scot and I were putting music on our iPods for the ceremony and reception. Our new apartment was full of laughter as Liz, Scot's sister, Larissa, my cousin, and Celeste, my best friend and maid of honor, were preparing for the next day with us. Celeste came sauntering into the room with a smile and a light saber joke, because Scot's parents had just given us a fabulous Star Wars themed rehearsal dinner. What a surprise that was! Some of his cousins even dressed up for it. Scot and I enjoyed it immensely- the Yoda on the wall, the princess Leia (sp?) cupcakes,  the lego Star Wars centerpieces on the table, the yummy Mexican food-- it all fit him. You see, we had this running joke of doing a Star Wars themed wedding... we had it all planned out. His parents thought it was funny, and so chose the theme for the dinner. We were told it was going to be, "a night under the stars." HA, it was! They just left out the "wars" part! We laughed at family members taking pictures with Yoda. Those need to be framed, honestly.

Before the dinner, my day started out with a manicure and pedicure with my three flower girls, bridesmaids, my brother's girlfriend, mom, and some very special out-of-state friends. When we were all finished, we enjoyed a leisurely lunch at Paradise Bakery, and my grandma (who I call "Mima") joined us. There was a lady handing out free cookies, and she gave my table a lot of extra ones because we were celebrating. After lunch, we went and decorated the reception area of the church... and was I ever surprised at how many people showed up to help! My coordinator couldn't believe her eyes. Not only did our 






awesome aunts come, but even the men showed up... uncles and cousins, too! I am still so thankful for everyone's help, it went so fast with all of the hands. I learned that I have some very talented bow- making family members. :) After that, my girls and I went back to the apartment to change into dresses for the rehearsal dinner, and we went back to decorate the chapel and for the rehearsal. It was so strange to practice walking down the isle; I almost lost it a few times looking at my dad. Walking those few steps, I couldn't help but think how he has been there for me, not just for those steps, but for every step of my life. Giving up dreams so he could make mine come true. Thanks, dad.

It had been an exhaustingly good day, and now we were trying to put four simple songs onto one iPod... but it just wasn't happening. Something kept going wrong, and we ended up with two iPods for four songs. Really. With that accomplished, he went home and my girls and I got ready for bed.

I couldn't sleep. Does anybody the night before they get married? tried, knowing I would need it, but I was simply too excited. Sure enough, 6am came way too early. All of my girls and I arrived at the church super early to get ready, and my ceremony coordinator met us. She was fantastic at making sure all of the last- minute details were taken care of. I did my cousin's make up, then my own. Celeste and Liz got ready too, until the hair dressers came.




My childhood friend Lindsay did my flower girls' hair, and all three of them looked great! The other ladies did a good job, too. My other mom growing up, Ann, came and bent over backwards for me. She got me coffee, and batteries for candles, and a fire starter because I was sure we had forgotten one. What a blessing she was! My Aunt Hallie came, too, and I was glad she brought her camera. Scot's mom joined the group, too, as did mine. We all had a blast getting ready!
 
As I was touching up my makeup in the middle of all of that, someone came with a little blue box for me tied with a white ribbon. "It's from Scot," they said. I opened it, and there was a fabulously beautiful string of white pearls. Apparently he had listened when I said I wanted to wear pearls with my wedding dress! Later on when my grandma Jones joined us, we shared a special moment because my grandpa, too, had given her pearls on her wedding day as well.



 Here are some more pictures of us getting ready.







The actual ceremony went very smoothly, and I was very pleased with how it all came together. Scot and I washed each other's feet during the ceremony, as a symbol of how we are to be Christ- like and servant- minded in our marriage relationship. I have pictures of that in the previous post. 

The reception was gorgeous, thanks to the help of friends and family, and I was happy with it as well. While we were taking pictures, we served coffee and biscotti. Then, we let everyone start going through the buffet line, and timed it so that we were done with pictures by the time everyone had gotten through the line. Just as the last few people were sitting down, we made our entrance, went to our table, and our wedding slideshow started while Scot and I ate. After the slideshow, we went and cut the cake, and then almost right after that we did the bouquet toss. After that, Scot and I went around and thanked everyone at each table personally. I received many pictures from little kids, because we also had a kids table with coloring pages... I think I'm putting them on my fridge. :) That's where I keep the ones from my Sunday school kids, so why not, right? Anyway, it was just overwhelming to see how many people had come to celebrate with us. Long time family friends, friends and family from all over the country had flown or driven in just for our wedding! How special is that? Scot and I have way too many blessings in our lives, my goodness. After that, people lined up outside all the way to our car to blow bubbles at us as we left. Our car was decorated a little bit, but not too much-- thanks to whomever did that, you must know Scot very well because he was worried his car would be trashed. :) And we drove away to start our lives happily ever after. 

It is pretty much the best fairy tale I've ever heard, because it is ours. We are now a Mr. and Mrs, and we are enjoying married life immensely. I love that he makes my coffee for me in the morning, and that I can make meals and pack his lunch for him. I love that I get to show him how much I love him even more now that we're married, in even little things like laundry. I love that I get to wake up to my best friend, and our times of prayer and reading the Bible together as our own little family now. I love that he brings me closer to and teaches me about Jesus every day, just by being who he is. I am so proud to be his wife. I love you Scot! 

What a great start. 

Husband and wife.

Beautiful Life. 







No comments:

Post a Comment