Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Summer Afternoon Tea Party

Yesterday I had my mom and grandma over for tea. I made apple tartlets.  


I made homemade cherry vanilla scones.



We even had real sugar cubes.



Here's what the table looked like, and we used cinnamon sticks to stir our tea with.



Why? Because I felt like doing something nice for them both. I enjoyed whipping out my china, trying some new recipes, and the company was very good, too. We laughed and giggled over life, and I was so happy to catch up with them on all their goings- on.

Afternoon tea is truly a wonderful thing.

Did you know:


  • The correct way to stir tea is to start at 6 o clock and move to 12 o clock and back? You should never stir it in a circular motion.
  • Napkins unquestionably go to the left of the place setting. 
  • When eating scones, you should never dip them in anything, or cut them in half. Just break off a part and spread with butter or whatever you're having.

I learned those things in England, when I had a tea party with cute little English ladies after church. Not that the tea police will come get you from behind your kettle if you don't follow those instructions, but I thought they were fun to know.

Do any of you have fun and special ways of spending time with the moms in your life?

1 comment:

  1. Hannah! What a lovely tea service you have! And what a yummy looking spread... Sounds like a fun afternoon.
    I appreciate the rules of tea from England - I did not learn any of them while I was there. Yay for learning new things! ;)

    Looks like you are settling into married life very well.

    Love,
    ~ Jody

    ReplyDelete