Tuesday, September 25, 2012

New Job: Day One

Today was the first day of my new job. I can already tell that this will be a challenging, rewarding position, and that I'm so BLESSED to have it. In the morning, I spent some time going over what my calendar looks like for the next year pretty much, scheduling appointments, taking notes from the answering machine, familiarizing myself with my surroundings and server, and meeting most of the fabulous people in my office. It was a bit overwhelming, but luckily I've had enough "overwhelming" in my previous experiences that it wasn't too bad. I'm sure I'll be able to learn what I need to quickly. I brought in my chocolate chip scones to share with people today, but only one person took one. Oh well, it's a start. I am excited because already this week, I have the good fortune of a dinner with a famous author, and a lecture from an AZ Republic author! Lucky me.

I say lucky me, but I know where the real credit goes. It goes to God. Thank You, Lord!

Anyway, my first day was great. I can't decide what I'm looking forward to most tomorrow; organizing my desk, or reading more about the foundation, or the meetings I'll attend.

When I finally went home, Scot greeted me with a smile, a kiss, and dinner. Boy do I love that man, he still gets me right in the heart, every time.

 I realized that looking through the application process, I could have been a Flinn scholar myself minus the being in the top 5% of your class, I think I was just outside that. I met every other requirement, though. But then, thinking about my undergraduate career, it is almost as if I were one, the way I worked hard to get the most out of my education. I still got a paid trip outside of the country, doing something incredibly awesome; still got to be a part of many clubs and extra-curricular things, and still pursued and attained leadership roles at ASU. I don't know, if I had been given the Flinn, that I would have had the same experiences because I might have been tempted to take it a little easier. Of course, I was awarded three scholarships, and I owe my life to them, but they were not quite as good a deal as the Flinn. I wonder what would have happened had I applied and received it? I have no idea how my life might be different. What I do know is that I worked hard and was rewarded with what the reward for hard work is: more hard work. All wonderings aside, I am thankful for ASU, the scholarships I did receive, and that I made the most of what I had. Here's to a bright future, where I get to be a part of the whole higher education system!

No comments:

Post a Comment